Egypt: Army warns it will not allow 'dark tunnel'

The BBC's Wyre Davies reports from outside the presidential palace where the situation is "incredibly tense"

The army in Egypt has called for dialogue to resolve a crisis over President Mohammed Morsi's new powers, warning it will intervene to stop Egypt going into "a dark tunnel".

In its first statement since protests erupted, it vowed to protect public institutions and innocent people.

It came as protests continued outside the presidential palace in Cairo.

The opposition has rejected his call for talks, unless he gives up powers and halts a constitutional referendum.

Critics say the draft was rushed through the constituent assembly - a body dominated by Islamists who support Mr Morsi - without proper consultation and does not do enough to protect political and religious freedoms and the rights of women.

Under Egyptian law, referendums must be held two weeks after being formally presented to the president.

On Saturday, a presidential source told the BBC that President Morsi had agreed to amend the decree on his powers and had set up a legal team to finalise it.

His prime minister told al-Mehwar television the new decree could be ready "late on Saturday or on Sunday morning".

There has been no formal announcement by the president.

Sensitive position

The army statement was read on Egyptian TV by a spokesman.

Analysis

The statement from the Egyptian military immediately raised fears that it might be about to intervene and take power, just as it did after the fall of Hosni Mubarak last year.

Both the military and the ruling Muslim Brotherhood have been quick to insist that is not about to happen.

However, state media were already reporting that President Morsi was considering giving new powers to the military to help the police maintain order.

Some commentators believe military intervention is becoming increasingly likely, as President Morsi has proved such a divisive leader. Yet many Egyptians believe that last year's revolution was not just against Hosni Mubarak, it was against six decades of military rule, which began when the military took power in 1952

"The armed forces... realise their responsibility to preserve the higher interests of the country and to secure and protect vital targets, public institutions and the interests of innocent citizens," it said.

"The armed forces affirm that dialogue is the best and only way to reach consensus," it added.

"The opposite of that will bring us to a dark tunnel that will result in catastrophe and that is something we will not allow."

The military, which ruled Egypt for more than a year after the fall of President Hosni Mubarak in February 2011, has maintained a low profile in the current stand-off, says the BBC's Shaimaa Khalil in Cairo.

But the state-run Egyptian newspaper, Al-Ahram, is reporting that the military is going to be given powers of policing by the government.

It says the measure was approved by the cabinet, but has yet to be signed by Mr Morsi. The decree would last until the adoption of a new constitution.

Essam El Amir, former head of Egyptian State Television, says he was pressured to broadcast pro-Muslim Brotherhood propaganda

Similar powers were granted in June by the transitional military authorities and were roundly condemned by human rights activist and the Egyptian administrative court, which ordered its suspension.

Observers say that, with Egypt so polarised, it cannot be seen to be taking sides.

Abdel Khaleq al-Sherif, a senior official from the Muslim Brotherhood that backs President Morsi, said the army statement was "balanced".

The statement "announces that the army's loyalty is to the people and this is good", he told Reuters news agency.

Talks boycott

The main opposition movement, the National Salvation Front, says it will not take part in talks Mr Morsi had offered to hold on Saturday, in an effort to resolve the spiralling crisis.

Egypt's mounting crisis

22 Nov: President Morsi issues decree assuming sweeping new powers, dismisses prosecutor general

30 Nov: Islamist-dominated constituent assembly adopts controversial draft constitution

1 Dec: President Morsi sets 15 December as the date for a referendum on the draft constitution

2 Dec: Supreme Constitutional Court suspends work after being prevented by Morsi supporters from ruling on the legitimacy of the constituent assembly. Judges Club, representing judges across the country, announces it will not supervise referendum

5 Dec: Violent clashes outside presidential palace in Cairo

7 Dec: Protesters breach presidential palace cordon

Nobel prize winner Mohamed ElBaradei, the movement's chief co-ordinator, urged other political groups to shun all dialogue with Mr Morsi.

"We [want] a dialogue not based on an arm-twisting policy and imposing fait accompli," his Twitter message read.

Two other opposition groups, the liberal Wafd party and the National Association for Change, said they were also boycotting the talks.

Mr Morsi has said that if the constitution were voted down, another constituent assembly would be formed to write a new draft.

Earlier this week the presidential palace was the scene of bloody clashes, in which five people died and hundreds were injured. The security cordon around the palace was breached on Saturday.

The Muslim Brotherhood's Cairo headquarters have also been set on fire. Rival protests between supporters and opponents of the president were held in a number of Egyptian cities on Friday, including Alexandria in the north and Asyut in the south.

Are you in Cairo? Are you taking part in the protest against President Morsi, or do you support him? Send your comments and experiences using the form below

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7624 800 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

More on This Story

More Middle East stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.