Egypt unrest: PM apologises for Tahrir Square violence

The BBC's Jon Leyne: "The army is now willing to support the anti-Mubarak protesters"

Egypt's prime minister has apologised for the fighting between pro- and anti-government demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square, which killed five people and wounded several hundred.

Ahmed Shafiq pledged to investigate the violence, calling it a "fatal error".

The protesters are demanding that President Hosni Mubarak, who has ruled for 30 years, step down immediately.

After further pre-dawn violence, the army has been using its vehicles to separate the feuding factions.

One tank turned its turret towards pro-Mubarak demonstrators who were throwing stones at protesters from a road above Tahrir Square on Thursday afternoon, before advancing towards them along with footsoldiers to help clear the overpass.

'Change now'

Egypt's Health Minister Ahmed Samih Farid said earlier that five people had died in the fighting, which began on Wednesday, and 836 were injured - mostly as the result of stone-throwing and attacks with metal rods and sticks. Petrol bombs have also been thrown.

At the scene

It's getting increasingly difficult to work as a foreign journalist here - there's anger and tension from all sides, not just with the political crisis but also because of the worsening economic situation here. Twice in the last couple of days we have been attacked and driven off by angry locals while trying to film in the streets.

In many areas law and order has completely broken down. One of the country's biggest shopping malls on the city's outskirts has been completely ransacked by looters. Several tanks are now parked in front of the mall, with soldiers allowing no-one in.

I've also heard second-hand accounts of horrific violence between vigilante groups and looters. In one case a captured man is reported to have been beaten up, wrapped in a blanket and thrown from the top of a tall building - his body then handed over to the army.

There don't appear to be enough pro-government supporters on the ground here to create the same sort of confrontations we've seen in Cairo. But, more violence is expected here tomorrow as thousands of anti-government demonstrators say they again intend to march on the city centre.

"This is a fatal error," Mr Shafiq told the privately-owned al-Hayat television.

"When investigations reveal who is behind this crime and who allowed it to happen, I promise they will be held accountable and will be punished for what they did."

"There is no excuse whatsoever to attack peaceful protesters, and that is why I am apologising," he said, urging the protesters "to go home to help end this crisis".

Mr Mubarak has said that he will serve out his current presidential term, which ends in September, but will not run for re-election.

Egyptian opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei and the Muslim Brotherhood have rejected government calls for negotiations, saying Mr Mubarak must leave office first.

Meanwhile, the leaders of France, Germany, Britain, Italy and Spain have issued a joint statement condemning the violence and calling for a political transition that "must start now".

Tahrir Square focus

On Wednesday, opposing groups fought pitched battles in Cairo, in the worst violence in 10 days of protests.

The unrest has left about 300 people dead across the country over the past 10 days, according to UN estimates.

Cairo's Tahrir Square has been the main focus of the protests, and a group of anti-Mubarak protesters remains hemmed in there by barricades. During a recent exchange of stone-throwing, there was heavy gunfire and the crowd were chanting and banging drums.

Anti-government protesters said earlier they had detained 120 people with ID cards linking them with police or the ruling party, most of whom had been caught attacking demonstrators on Tahrir Square.

Actor Khalid Abdalla: "The fight for noble ideals will continue"

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo cites a retired general who has been speaking to tank crews on the square as saying the army is losing patience, and if firing continues from pro-government supporters, it is willing to fire on them.

Those attacking them appear to be either police who have taken off their uniforms or plain-clothes "thugs", our correspondent says.

The military leadership seems deeply uncomfortable with what is happening, adds our correspondent; they do not want to turn on protesters but they are not willing to defy the president either.

The US has urged all Americans in Egypt to leave "immediately".

'Very tense'

Earlier, Mona Seif, an anti-government protester in Tahrir Square, described the atmosphere as "very tense".

Pro-government supporters shout slogans on top of a tank near Tahrir Square, Cairo, 2 February 2011

"Every couple of minutes we hear a sequence of gunshots, and it's only on one side of the square, which is the one close to Cairo Museum," she told the BBC.

Wednesday's violence began when thousands of supporters of President Mubarak surged into the square.

"They started throwing stones at us," said an anti-government protester named as Zaccaria. "Then some of us started throwing stones at them and then we chased them out of the square. They returned once again with the horses and the whips and the thugs."

Opposition supporters say many in the pro-government camp were paid by the authorities to demonstrate, and allowed into the square by the troops surrounding it.

The two sides pelted each other with stones in running battles lasting for hours.

Egyptian troops refused to intervene, but fired into the air to try to disperse people. On Wednesday, they called for demonstrators to return to their homes, a call which was reiterated by Vice-President Omar Suleiman.

Start Quote

The White House, as much as the pro-democracy protesters, is demanding 'Mubarak must go'”

End Quote Mark Mardell BBC North America editor

Clashes were also reported in Egypt's second city, Alexandria.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told Egyptian Vice-President Omar Suleiman in a phone call on Wednesday that the clashes were a "shocking development" after days of peaceful protests.

She also "underscored the important role that the Egyptian armed forces have played in exercising restraint in the face of peaceful demonstrations", the state department said in a statement.

If Mr Mubarak does not step down, demonstrators have planned to march on the presidential palace on Friday.

Map

Are you in Egypt? Are you taking part in the protests? What is your reaction to the current situation? Send us your comments using the form below:

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7624 800 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

More on This Story

More Middle East stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.