Suspect in Brazil cameraman Santiago Andrade's death held

Santiago Andrade seen in a TV grab on 10 February, 2014 Santiago Andrade, 49, was hit by a flare during a demonstration in Rio de Janeiro

Related Stories

Police in Brazil have arrested the main suspect in the death of Brazilian television cameraman Santiago Andrade.

Mr Andrade was fatally injured when a flare exploded next to his head during clashes between police and protesters in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday.

Doctors declared Mr Andrade brain dead on Monday and his employer has since said that he died shortly afterwards.

The suspect is accused of throwing the flare which hit Mr Andrade. He is the second man to be arrested in the case.


Caio Silva de Souza, 23, was detained in the northern state of Bahia.

Start Quote

It seemed like an age but from the moment I saw Santiago drop his camera and fall to the floor, to that screeching journey to hospital against the flow of traffic down Rio's main avenue, took just six minutes”

End Quote

Police say he is the man who can be seen on TV footage throwing the flare which caused Mr Andrade's death.

They had been searching for Mr Silva de Souza since he failed to follow a police order to turn himself in.

Officers found him at a hostel in Feira de Santana, some 100km (60 miles) from the city of Salvador, in the north of the country.

He is being taken to Rio de Janeiro, where he could face murder charges.

Another man is already in custody for allegedly handing the flare to Mr Silva de Souza.

Journalists put their cameras down for one minute, to draw attention to the case of a cameraman who was killed by a flare while covering a protest last week in Rio de Janeiro Mr Andrade's death has shocked his colleagues, who are demanding more be done to guarantee their safety

The case has prompted angry reactions in Brazil, with President Dilma Rousseff saying it had caused "revulsion and was saddening".

Mr Andrade was in a coma for four days before doctors said he was brain dead.

His employer, TV network Bandeirantes, announced on Tuesday that he had died a short time later and that his family had donated some of his organs.

Hundreds of protesters clashed with police during the rally against increased public transport fares last Thursday.

The BBC's Wyre Davies was reporting from Rio's Central Station as the violence unfolded

The protests followed an announcement by Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes of a 9% rise in fares.

The demonstration started off peacefully but turned violent after protesters moved to Central Station, a major underground, train and bus hub.

Riot police fired tear gas and tried to disperse the crowd while demonstrators hurled stones and petrol bombs.

Commuters were caught up in the violence, and local media reported six other people were injured.

Last year, similar protests grew into a nationwide movement against corruption and excessive spending ahead of the football World Cup, which Brazil will host in June and July.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More Latin America & Caribbean stories



Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.