Nicaragua profile - Media
- 21 November 2014
- From the section Latin America & Caribbean
For most Nicaraguans radio and TV are the main sources of news. There are more than 100 radio stations, many of them in the capital, and several TV networks. Cable TV is available in most urban areas.
The print media are varied and partisan, representing pro- and anti-government positions. Reporters Without Borders has noted "serious tensions" between Mr Ortega's government and the owners of the private media.
The Ortega family owns several media outlets, including TV and radio stations. A Mexican businessman owns a cluster of free-to-air TV networks.
There were around 906,000 internet users by December 2013, around 15.5% of the population (Internetworldstats.com).
- Nicavision Canal 12 - commercial
- Canal 10 - commercial
- Telenica Canal 8 - commercial
- Multinoticias Canal 4 - commercial
- Televicentro Canal 2 - commercial
- Radio Corporacion - commercial
- Radio Mundial - commercial
- Radio Nicaragua - government-owned
- Radio Sandino - Sandinista-controlled
- Radio Pirata - private, Managua music station
- Nicaragua Dispatch - English-language