Venezuela's Hugo Chavez set for new Cuba surgery

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, 24 January 2012 Mr Chavez says he is determined to "win the battle" against his illness

Related Stories

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez will go to Cuba on Friday for an operation on a lesion in an area where he had a cancerous tumour removed last year.

Venezuela's parliament gave him permission to leave the country for more than five days.

Mr Chavez, 57, says the lesion is probably malignant but that he is determined to survive.

The left-wing leader - who has governed Venezuela for 13 years - is due to stand for re-election in October.

He has warned that the medical treatment will mean he will have to reduce his workload during the campaign.

Last October he declared himself cancer-free after surgery and chemotherapy in Cuba.

But the exact nature and extent of his illness has never been made public, leading to persistent rumours that his health is worse than officially acknowledged.

No stand-in

"I will live! I will live!" declared Mr Chavez, pounding on the table during a live broadcast on Thursday in which he spoke for more than four hours, according to AP news agency.

He said he would leave on Friday and undergo surgery early next week to remove the growth, described as about 2cm (one inch) in diameter.

"Nobody can say right now that it is another malignant tumour," Mr Chavez said, "[but] the likelihood of malignancy is greater than the probability that it is not."

Venezuela's National Assembly approved Mr Chavez's request for permission to leave the country - a formality required by the constitution.

But his supporters rejected opposition demands that Mr Chavez hand over his presidential duties to Vice-President Elias Jaua during his absence.

Mr Chavez has said he is in good physical condition to undergo surgery and is determined to "win the battle" against the illness.

He announced that he would need further surgery earlier this week.

His renewed illness comes at a critical time, as he prepares to campaign for re-election for another six-year term as president.

His challenger in October's election is Henrique Capriles Radonski, a state governor who won an opposition primary earlier this month.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More Latin America & Caribbean stories

RSS

Features

  • RihannaCloud caution

    After celebrity leaks, what can you do to safeguard your photos?


  • Cesc FabregasFair price?

    Have some football clubs overpaid for their new players?


  • Woman and hairdryerBlow back

    Would banning high-power appliances actually save energy?


  • Rack of lambFavourite feast

    Is the UK unusually fond of lamb and potatoes?


  • Members of staff at James Stevenson Flags hold a Union Jack and Saltire flag UK minus Scotland

    Does the rest of the UK care if the Scots become independent?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.