Haiti candidates reject election recount

Policeman calls on demonstrators to keep calm The recount was called after days of street protests

Two of the three main candidates in the disputed presidential election in Haiti have rejected a proposed recount of the first-round votes.

The recount was announced after days of street protests by opposition supporters.

Front-runner Mirlande Manigat said the Haitian electoral council had not come up with clear procedures or a timetable.

The proposal was also rejected by Michel Martelly, who came third.

'Rigged vote'

Mr Martelly said he would not accept a recount conducted by the same group that, he alleges, manipulated the results in the first place.

He had earlier said that the count was rigged to deny him a second-round run-off place.

Governing party candidate Jude Celestin, who came second and is therefore through to the next round, said he supported the proposal for a recount.

Election results announced on Tuesday gave 31% to the former first lady, Ms Manigat, and 22% to Mr Celestin.

Mr Martelly came third with 21%, about 6,800 votes short of Mr Celestin.

On Thursday, election officials announced they would hold an immediate vote recount in the presence of all top three candidates and international observers.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Latin America & Caribbean stories

RSS

Features

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.