Police in Mexico free two kidnapped cameramen
- 31 July 2010
- From the section Latin America & Caribbean
Police in Mexico say they have freed two cameramen kidnapped on Monday.
Javier Canales and Alejandro Hernandez had been investigating corruption allegations at a prison in Gomez Palacio when they were abducted.
The kidnappers reportedly demanded that the TV stations the cameramen worked for broadcast a series of videos accusing local officials of ties with a drug cartel.
Police suspect the kidnappers belong to a rival cartel.
Mr Canales and Mr Hernandez are said to be in good health.
Hector Gordoa, a journalist kidnapped at the same time as Mr Canales and Mr Hernandez, is also free.
It is still unclear whether he was released by his captors or freed by the security forces on Thursday.
Oscar Solis, a reporter for the newspaper El Vespertino, who was abducted from his home the same night, is still missing.
The four had been covering protests at a prison in the northern town of Gomez Palacio, Mexico's National Commission for Human Rights said.
Inmates there have been protesting over allegations that prisoners were released so they could carry out drug-related killings, including three massacres that left 35 dead.
The kidnapping of the four journalists on Monday created a storm of protest from media organisations.
Mexico's biggest television network, Televisa, and the employer of both Mr Hernandez and Mr Gordoa, cancelled one of its news programmes in protest at the kidnapping.
The host of the Starting Point show said the team was not willing to go on air while journalists had to run enormous risks to cover the news.
The screen then went black.
More than 60 journalists have been killed in Mexico since 2000, most are believed to have been targeted by drug gangs.