Isle Of Man / Ellan Vannin

Tower of Refuge walk 'could attract thousands'

Tower of Refuge Walk 2013 Image copyright Douglas Development Partnership
Image caption Around 3,000 people walked to the Isle of Man landmark in 2013, raising £2,500

Thousands of people are expected to take part in a guided walk to the Tower of Refuge in aid of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) on Tuesday.

The tower, built on Conister Rock in Douglas in 1832, was the idea of Sir William Hillary, founder of the RNLI.

Last year 3,000 people walked to the landmark, which can only be reached on foot during certain tidal conditions.

Organiser Michelle O'Malley said the tower "exerts a special fascination and inspires tremendous curiosity."

The guided walk is expected to begin at approximately 18:00 BST.

Image copyright Douglas Development Partnership
Image caption The tower was built in 1832 as a refuge for sailors after the semi-submerged rock caused a number of shipwrecks

Due to health and safety reasons, visitors to Conister Rock are not permitted to enter the tower itself.

The RNLI said it was only possible to walk to the tower during the spring and autumn low tides and people should not attempt to reach it on their own.

Image copyright Douglas Development Partnership
Image caption The Manx landmark on Conister Rock was the idea of RNLI founder, Sir William Hillary

The tower was designed as a shelter for the crews of vessels that were wrecked on the nearby reef.

Sir William Hillary, who launched an appeal in 1824 that led to the foundation of the RNLI, was a member of the Douglas lifeboat crew.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites