Union bosses and workers hold 'important talks' over bus dispute
- 14 February 2013
- From the section Isle Of Man / Ellan Vannin
Bus drivers in the Isle of Man have been urged to attend a meeting with union bosses later.
Earlier this week drivers voted against a government deal to end a dispute over pay and conditions.
In a secret ballot on Monday, 56 of 79 drivers rejected a new deal made by government, the terms of which have not been made public.
The Manx government had hoped its latest proposals would rule out further industrial action.
Eric Holmes, of the Unite union, said it was "incredibly important" that the meeting is well attended.
He said: "Hopefully the workers realise it is coming towards the end of their chances. It is up to them now. We need a clear mandate from the workers."
Community, Culture and Leisure minister Graham Cregeen said the union had recommended the acceptance of its latest proposals to members.
He said: "We were hopeful the this dispute could have come to an end - unfortunately that hasn't happened."
Bus Vannin drivers had already staged walk-outs in December and January over new measures, including a £3,000 pay cut.