Garth Brooks Irish concerts: Promoter says final decision due soon

A decision on the planned Garth Brooks' concerts in Dublin is due soon.

Related Stories

The concert promoter Peter Aiken has said a decision will be made on Tuesday on whether any of the planned Garth Brooks' concerts in Dublin will go ahead.

The US star was due to stage five shows at Croke Park stadium on 25 to 29 July.

Dublin City Council said on Friday that it could not reverse its decision on only allowing three of the concerts to go ahead.

Mr Aiken said he was working to try to get all five concerts staged.

He told RTÉ's radio programme The Business that Aiken Promotions were working "behind the scenes" with the authorities at Croke Park.

Mr Aiken said a final decision would be made on Monday or Tuesday, but said he still had hope that all five would go ahead.

When the council refused permission for two of the dates, Brooks said on Thursday he would do "five shows or none at all".

The US singer compared having to choose between concert dates to being asked "to choose one child over another".

The singer said he had "faith that Dublin City Council will make the best decision for the people of Ireland".

About 400,000 fans have booked tickets for the five sold-out concerts but permission has only been granted for shows on 25, 26 and 27 July.

On Friday, Dublin City Council released a statement outlining the timelines of events from the date the tickets went on sale, to its refusal to grant the licences earlier this week.

The council said it had received complaints from residents living near Croke Park stadium who said their area was "locked down" during major concerts and their objection to the unprecedented number of gigs on consecutive nights.

More than 370 people wrote to the council outlining their concerns about the Brooks shows.

On Friday, some residents launched a petition to have all five proposed events go ahead.

'Hope'

They said that those who oppose the concerts do not speak for the entire area.

Mr Aiken said the five concerts had not been cancelled, so there was still "a bit of hope".

"We are still working behind the scenes, both ourselves and Croke Park and I think that a final decision will have to be made Monday or Tuesday," he told The Business.

When asked if he thought the singer might relax his all or none stance, Mr Aiken said he did not think so.

"Garth Brooks is the type of guy, that if he came in and he did three shows he would feel it would be such an anti-climax to him for the 160,000 people who didn't get to see it," he said.

Garth Brooks Brooks had been booked for five shows on consecutive nights at Croke Park in July and said he will stage "five shows or none at all"

"When people see this show on the first night and the reviews and people talking about it, how would the other 160,000 feel?

"That's where he is coming from, he is seeing this as one big event. He is coming into make a DVD and a documentary as well."

Several other venues have been mentioned as possible alternatives to stage the final two shows, but Mr Aiken said it would not to possible to move venues as the set was custom built for Croke Park.

He said one alternative may be to hold the cancelled concerts in Croke Park in October, following the conclusion of the All-Ireland football and hurling championships.

Mr Aiken said he stood to lose a "seven figure sum" if the concerts did not go ahead, while he also claimed Mr Brooks would stand to lose "millions".

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Europe stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.