Garda whistleblower calls for Alan Shatter to resign
A former Garda whistleblower has called for the Irish Justice Minister Alan Shatter to resign.
John Wilson, who is now retired, told RTE's Late Late Show he had no confidence in the minister.
Mr Wilson, and another officer, Sgt Maurice McCabe, raised concerns about flaws in the penalty points system.
The controversy contributed to the resignation of the Republic's most senior police officer, Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan.
Mr Wilson said his decision to resign was the right one.
Asked about the apology Mr Shatter made to the whistleblowers, Mr Wilson said it was important that he finally corrected the record of Dáil Eireann (Irish parliament).
When asked whether he accepted Mr Shatter's apology, Mr Wilson said he had absolutely no confidence or faith in the minister.
Asked if he thought he should resign Mr Wilson said: "No doubt."
Mr Wilson also described Mr Shatter's behaviour in relation to the penalty points scandal as "deplorable".
The two officers had claimed that senior police officers had inappropriately wiped the penalty points from the driving licences of often well-connected offenders.
The pair made their allegations to the Public Accounts Committee of the parliament of the Republic of Ireland.Widespread breaches
When Mr Callinan appeared before the committee, he described the actions of the two whistleblowers as "disgusting".
Since then, a report by the independent Garda Inspectorate found that there were consistent and widespread breaches of policy by those charged with administering the penalty points system.
He was later urged to withdraw his remarks.
In his resignation statement, Mr Callinan said he had taken the decision to retire from his post in "the best interests of An Garda Síochána (Irish police) and my family".
Mr Shatter has come under huge political pressure in recent weeks over a number of controversies involving the police force.
A motion of no confidence in the justice minister was defeated in the Irish parliament (Dáil) by 95 votes to 51 on Wednesday evening.
The opposition Fianna Fáil party had been calling on Mr Shatter to step down.
Mr Callinan stood down last month after dramatic revelations of a secret system recording telephone calls at police stations since the 1980s and revelations from police whistleblowers over the wiping of penalty points.
Mr Callinan said the recording systems were set up in the 1980s to enable police to record calls to and from control rooms in particular 999 calls, bomb threats and other messages.
The practice continued in some stations over the years with recordings retained in the stations.
Mr Callinan said all recordings except 999 calls ceased nationally on 23 November 2013.
It is feared the taped conversations could threaten the outcome of past and present court cases, as well as the findings of long-running state inquiries.
A state inquiry has been launched into the recordings.
Two other investigations into the suspected bugging of the official police watchdog's headquarters and whistleblower allegations of wrongdoing within the force are expected to be completed later this month.