Three-year-old boy dies in lift incident in Galway

Hynes Building on Augustine Street in Galway The accident happened in the Hynes Building on Augustine Street in Galway

The Irish Health and Safety Authority (HSA) has begun an investigation after a three-year-old boy died in an incident in a lift in Galway city centre.

Solomon Soremekun died after falling into the lift shaft at the Hynes Building on St Augustine Street on Monday afternoon.

GardaĆ­ (Irish police) said his death was a tragic accident.

HSA inspectors are trying to establish how the boy fell into the lift shaft.

The three-story building remains closed to the public while examinations continue.

It is understood the boy's family were visiting the Department of Social Protection office in the premises at the time.

The toddler suffered serious injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post mortem examination will be carried out at Galway University Hospital on Tuesday.

More Europe stories

RSS

Features

  • SyedTanks not toys

    Lyse Doucet on the plight of children in Syria and Gaza


  • Boy with head stuck in railingsSmall Data

    Heads stuck in banisters - the official statistics


  • The two sisters in their bakeryBaking hot

    Why two Spanish sisters started a bakery in the desert


  • A farmer walks in front of a construction site of new residential buildings in Hangzhou, ChinaPrice drop

    Sharp falls in China's property market


  • Steve WayMarathon man

    From cigarettes and alcohol to coming 10th in Games BBC Sport


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.