- 17 April 2012
- From the section Europe
Private broadcasters have substantial audiences, competing with public NRK for listeners and viewers.
The Schibsted group, publisher of Aftenposten and the mass-circulation VG, is one of Scandinavia's largest media concerns. Norway-based Telenor is a leading Nordic broadband, telecoms and satellite TV provider.
Digital television via cable and satellite offers a wide range of specialist channels. Norway has completed the switch from analogue to digital terrestrial TV.
Norwegians are among the world's keenest newspaper readers. The number of titles is impressive, given the small population. Most of the press is privately-owned and openly partisan.
Press freedom is guaranteed by the constitution and public radio and TV broadcast without official interference.
By December 2011, more than 4.5 million Norwegians were online - around 97% of the population (InternetWorldStats).
- VG - large-circulation national daily
- The Norway Post - English-language
- Aftenposten - daily
- Dagbladet - mass-circulation national daily
- Morgenbladet - weekly
- NRK - public broadcaster, operates NRK-1, NRK-2, NRK-3 and NRK Super
- TV2 - national, commercial; NRK's main competitor
- TV3 Norge - commercial, via satellite
- TV Norge - commercial, via satellite and terrestrially