Latvia profile - Media
- 11 June 2015
- From the section Europe
Latvia's TV market is dominated by the commercial LNT, two networks operated by the national public broadcaster LTV, commercial TV3 Latvia and the Baltic variants of the main Russian networks.
Public Latvian Radio (LR) dominates the radio market, thanks in part to the popularity of its music-based network LR2. Public radio and TV are financed by state subsidies and advertising.
Newspapers - all of them privately-owned - reflect a variety of political views. Many titles have suffered declining circulations.
The media operate freely, with few legal restrictions. A law provides prison terms for libel and incitement of racial hatred.
By mid-2012, around 1.57 million Latvians were online (Internetworldstats). Latvian social network Draugiem.lv is more popular than Facebook.
- Diena - daily
- Neatkariga Rita Avize (NRA) - broadsheet, in Latvian
- Dienas Bizness - business tabloid in Latvian, affiliated to Diena
- Telegraf - main Russian-language daily
- Latvijas Avize - tabloid, daily
- Chas - Russian-language daily
- Biznes & Baltiya - business broadsheet in Russian
- Vakara Zinas - evening tabloid, in Latvian
- Latvian Television (LTV) - public, operates LTV1 and LTV7
- Latvian Independent Television (LNT) - main terrestrial commercial TV
- TV3 Latvia - commercial
- TV6 - commercial
- Latvian Radio - public; four national networks
- Radio SWH - commercial
- Star FM - commercial
- Radio NABA - public/university
- Radio Skonto - commercial