Tsunami: Before and after images
The coastal town of Rikuzentakata, with a population of 23,000, was almost completely destroyed by the tsunami. Waves reached as high as the third floor of the city hall. It is not clear how many people survived. Use the slider to see satellite images of the town before and after the tsunami hit.
Features & Analysis
- Fernanda Lima and the dress that shocked Iran
- Supervolcano 'even more colossal'
- Madagascar village 'hit by plague'
- Putin orders Arctic military boost
- Movie captures Earth-Moon 'dance'
- India court reinstates gay sex ban
- Child 'training' book triggers backlash
- US budget deal reached in Congress
- Ukraine police abandon stand-off
- Uruguay votes to legalise marijuana
Elsewhere on the BBC
Is the Cadillac CTS the Germans’ worst nightmare?
What next from the man who made and fired the first 3D-printed gun?