Tsunami: Before and after images
The coastal town of Rikuzentakata, with a population of 23,000, was almost completely destroyed by the tsunami. Waves reached as high as the third floor of the city hall. It is not clear how many people survived. Use the slider to see satellite images of the town before and after the tsunami hit.
His pickled heart has provided scientists with few answers
BBC reporter meets Indonesian tsunami survivor 10 years on
How Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett wrote a book
Who, and what, went viral in 2014?
Meet the temporary Christmas posties
- New York gunman told public 'watch what I'm going to do'
- France Dijon: Driver targets city pedestrians
- Bangor burglary: Grieving mother's laptop returned
- The mystery of Chopin's death
- The Apprentice: Mark Wright is Lord Sugar's new partner
- Actress Billie Whitelaw dies aged 82
- Why do mornings still get darker after the winter solstice?
- Labour attacks street light cuts
- Pakistan school attack: Several suspects arrested
- NHS centres to use DNA medicine