Tsunami: Before and after images
The coastal town of Rikuzentakata, with a population of 23,000, was almost completely destroyed by the tsunami. Waves reached as high as the third floor of the city hall. It is not clear how many people survived. Use the slider to see satellite images of the town before and after the tsunami hit.
Survivors tell the story of Nairobi's Westgate siege
Russians find their relatives killed in Ukraine conflict are forgotten
Winning images of twinkling stars and swirling gases
Mystery over tourist killings continues to baffle Thailand police
No-contact rules, missed opportunities BBC Sport
- Abuse aimed at Andy Murray 'vile'
- Counts start in Scottish referendum
- At-a-glance: Referendum results
- Users frustrated by Apple iOS update
- Expected times for area declarations
- Briton killed in Santorini incident
- 'Kill yourself' doctor suspended
- Video of British hostage released
- Archbishop admits 'doubts about God'
- Millions in historic Scottish vote