Tsunami: Before and after images
The coastal town of Rikuzentakata, with a population of 23,000, was almost completely destroyed by the tsunami. Waves reached as high as the third floor of the city hall. It is not clear how many people survived. Use the slider to see satellite images of the town before and after the tsunami hit.
Features & Analysis
- Stockholm suburbs gripped by riots
- FBI kill man 'linked to Tsarnaev'
- N Korea leader sends envoy to China
- Ireland calls for global tax action
- US rescuers comb tornado-hit area
- Notre-Dame suicide a 'political act'
- US immigration bill passes hurdle
- Is the English language conquering France?
- Ahmadinejad to contest bar on ally
- Just how bad is an EF5 tornado?
Elsewhere on BBC News
How US libraries are responding to the change from printed books to digital publishing