Deadly landslide in south-west China

Rescue workers lift a wall that collapsed after a landslide hit Yingping village in Fuquan city in southwest China's Guizhou province on Thursday 28 August, 2014 The landslide hit the village in south-west Guizhou province on Wednesday night

At least six people have died and 21 others are missing after a landslide struck a village in south-west China.

China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported that more than 70 houses in the village in Guizhou province were destroyed.

It also said, quoting officials, that 22 people were injured and had been transferred to hospitals for treatment.

The landslide was believed to have been caused by a breach from a small reservoir, state broadcaster CCTV said.

Local television footage showed dozens of rescuers combing areas covered in dried mud.

Rescuers work at the landslide which has killed seven people with another 20 missing in Yingping village in Fuquan city in southwest China's Guizhou province on 28 August 2014 Rescue officials said they were expecting search efforts to be "difficult"

Officials said that they were expecting environmental conditions to "bring some difficulties" to ongoing search and rescue operations.

The landslide which struck Yingping village on Wednesday night was the second disaster to hit China's southwestern region this month.

Earlier this month, an earthquake struck a remote region in neighbouring Yunnan province, killing 615 people.

BBC Map

More on This Story

More Asia stories

RSS

Features

  • Peaky Blinders publicity shotBrum do

    Why is the Birmingham accent so difficult to mimic?


  • Oliver CromwellA brief history

    The 900-year-story behind the creation of a UK parliament


  • Image of Ankor Wat using lidarJungle Atlantis

    How lasers have revealed an ancient city beneath the forest


  • TheatreBard taste? Watch

    Are trailer videos on social media spoiling theatre?


  • Agents with the US Secret Service, such as this one, are responsible for guarding the presidentHard at work

    White House break-in adds to Secret Service woes


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.