Second Indonesian boat capsizes off in Malaysian waters

A victim's body of an Indonesian capsized boat is carried by Malaysian rescuers in Pantai Kelanang, outskirt of Banting, Malaysia, on Wednesday, 18 June, 2014 Malaysian crews recovered 10 bodies from the sea after the overloaded boat sank on Wednesday

Related Stories

A second boat in two days has capsized off Malaysia, leaving dozens of Indonesian migrants missing.

In the most recent accident, nine people are missing. On Wednesday, 10 people were killed and 25 went missing when an overloaded boat capsized.

All of the rescued passengers from the first boat were arrested under immigration laws.

Both of the boats were carrying Indonesians heading back to their home country for the Ramadan fasting month.

Malaysian maritime agency official Mohammad Zuhri said that the second boat, which sank on Thursday morning, capsized in waters off Sepang town on the outskirts of Malaysia's capital city Kuala Lumpur.

Mr Zuhri said 18 people, including four women, were rescued by passing merchant ships.

Officials said the boat was also believed to have been headed towards Indonesia's Sumatra island.

In this handout photo released by the Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department on 18 June, 2014 survivors rest after being rescued on the outskirts of Banting after an overloaded boat carrying Indonesian illegal migrants sank overnight in seas off western Malaysia All survivors from the first sinking have been arrested under immigration laws
Malaysian search and rescue personnel wait for instructions before leaving on a search patrol on the outskirts of Banting on 18 June, 2014 after an apparently overloaded boat carrying Indonesian illegal migrants sank overnight in seas off western Malaysia Officials said the missing passengers could have swam to safety

Malaysian authorities earlier said that they were investigating why the first boat sank.

The wooden vessel sank about midnight (16:00 Tuesday) off Port Klang, near Banting in the Strait of Malacca.

Survivors said the boat was leaking, which could mean it was hit by an object.

"Rough seas are making our rescue operation difficult but we will continue the search," said Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency official Mohamad Hambali Yaakup.

He said the boat sank not far from shore and raised hopes that the missing passengers could have swum to safety.

Another maritime official said said more sea vessels and divers were deployed in the search on Thursday.

Thousands of Indonesians work illegally in plantations and other industries in Malaysia. They often risk dangerous sea journeys to return home.


More on This Story

Related Stories

From other news sites

More Asia stories



Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.