South Korea cabinet reshuffle after ferry deaths

South Korean President Park Geun-Hye attends the ceremony marking Korean Memorial Day at the Seoul National Cemetery on 6 June, 2014 in Seoul, South Korea The political revamp is Park Geun-hye first major cabinet reshuffle since taking office last February

South Korea's president has revamped her cabinet in an apparent bid to win back public support after April's Sewol passenger ferry disaster.

Park Geun-hye replaced seven members of her cabinet and appointed six new ministers.

The shake-up is Ms Park's first major shuffle since taking office last year.

She has been criticised for her handling of the ferry disaster, which left at least 292 people dead, most of them school students.

Her ruling conservative Saenuri party made a strong showing in local elections last Thursday, winning eight of 17 main contests for city mayors and provincial governors.

Following this, Ms Park nominated a new prime minister on Tuesday to replace Chung Hong-won who resigned amid criticism of the government's handling of the ferry sinking.

She also replaced her defence minister and intelligence chief.

Analysts say the political reshuffle is seen as Ms Park's efforts to move on from the ferry disaster.

Lee Wan-goo, Chairman of the Party's campaign, wipes the sweat off his face as members watch a television program broadcasting the election exit polls in Seoul, South Korea, on Wednesday, 4 June, 2014 Ruling party officials were relieved at recent local election results
Policemen gather at the compound of Yoo Byung-Eun, a leading member of the Evangelical Baptist Church of Korea, in Anseong on 12 June, 2014 South Korean police have stepped up efforts in a nationwide manhunt for ferry owner Yoo Byung-eun
The mother of a victim onboard sunken ferry cries as she speaks to the media in front of a building in which crew members are detained, after attending a hearing at the local court in Gwangju on 10 June, 2014 The nation is still in mourning over the lives lost in April's ferry sinking tragedy

Meanwhile, the mother of a student has filed the first lawsuit in the ferry tragedy, suing both the ferry company and the South Korean state for $30,000 in damages.

Court officials said the figure could be adjusted higher, with some reports speculating that it could rise $600,000, reports the BBC's Lucy Williamson in Seoul.

The boy's mother said she had gone through "unbearable mental suffering" and blamed the ferry company for not training its staff properly as well as the state for failing to regulate the industry, local media reported.

Nationwide manhunt

South Korean authorities have also stepped up efforts in accounting for the ferry disaster.

Police officers on Friday arrested the brother of fugitive billionaire Yoo Byung-eun, who is thought to own the firm that operated the sunken ferry.

Thousands of officers dressed in riot gear had earlier raided a religious compound in in Anseong city, in search of Yoo who is still at large.

Five Church followers were detained on charges of assisting Yoo's escape and hundreds of others rallied against the raid.

His daughter Yoo Som-na was detained in Paris in May and is facing extradition to South Korea.

On Monday, 15 South Korean crew members went on trial over the deaths of the ferry victims.

If convicted, Captain Lee Joon-seok, 69, and three crew members could be handed the death penalty, but observers say it is extremely unlikely it would be carried out.

More on This Story

South Korea ferry

From other news sites

* May require registration or subscription

More Asia stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.