Ex-Maldives president takes refuge at India embassy

Mohamed Nasheed walking to embassy, 13 February 2013 Mr Nasheed won the country's first democratic elections in 2008

Related Stories

Former Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed has taken refuge at the Indian High Commission in the capital, Male, after a court ordered his arrest.

Police have been deployed near the building, as dozens of supporters protested against the charges.

An aide said Mr Nasheed would remain at the embassy until an agreement was reached with the government.

The Maldives was thrown into turmoil in February 2012 when Mr Nasheed was ousted in what he says was a coup.

A magistrate ordered his arrest on Wednesday, saying Mr Nasheed failed to attend a court hearing on charges of illegally detaining a judge during his time in office.

Mr Nasheed had accused the judge of deliberately obstructing investigations of political figures linked to a previous government.

Arrest order

Eva Abdulla, an MP and relative of Mr Nasheed, said the trial against him was politically motivated and designed to prevent him from running in elections later this year.

"They will go to any lengths to eliminate him from the ballot," she said, speaking from the embassy.

Crowds gather in Male, 13 February 2013 Mr Nasheed's Maldivian Democratic Party has called for demonstrations

She told the BBC the former leader was in talks with the Indian High Commissioner. She said could not say how long he would stay there, but that it would at least be overnight.

Police say they are on orders to arrest Mr Nasheed but will not enter the building.

"We have received the [arrest] order and we will be trying to carry it out in accordance with the Maldivian constitution and the order itself," spokesman Hassan Haneef said.

Mr Nasheed swept to power in 2008 after winning against President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, who ran the archipelago autocratically for 30 years.

He claims he was forced to quit under duress after soldiers and police mutinied and overran the party's headquarters in Male.

But his successor, Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik, who had been serving as his vice-president, insists that Mr Nasheed left of his own accord after opposition-led protests.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More Asia stories



  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814

  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea

  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?

  • Children testing a bridge at a model-making summer school in Crawley, West SussexSeeding science Watch

    The retired professor who turned village children into engineers

  • Krouwa Erick, the doctor in Sipilou town at the border of Ivory Coast and Guinea - 27 August 2014Bad trip

    The Ebola journey no-one in Ivory Coast wants to take

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.