Deadly mushrooms kill two in Australia

Death cap mushroom Death cap mushrooms are poisonous and can prove fatal if ingested

Two people have died after eating poisonous death cap mushrooms - similar to edible straw mushrooms - at a New Year's Eve party in Australia.

The two people were among a group of four who ate the mushrooms at a party in Canberra.

One person has been discharged from hospital but the other three were transferred to Sydney where two later died.

Death cap mushrooms are toxic and can cause liver failure.

A spokesman at Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA) confirmed the deaths.

"Two people at RPA have passed away. The third, however, is still receiving treatment," a spokeswoman for the hospital was quoted by the AFP news agency as saying.

The names and ages of the victims have not been confirmed. It remains unclear where the mushrooms at the party came from.

According to the Australian National Botanic Gardens, the death cap mushroom can be found in many Canberra suburbs, usually near oak trees.

It is also common in Melbourne suburbs and in some Victorian country towns.

Eating the mushrooms can cause stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhoea and jaundice. Liver and kidney failure can also occur.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Asia stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.