As it happened: Kim Jong-il dies
- North Korean state television announced that leader Kim Jong-il has died at the age of 69.
- He suffered a heart attack on board a train outside the capital, Pyongyang, on Saturday.
- He had led the communist nation since the death of father Kim Il-sung in 1994, and is expected to be succeeded by his third son, Kim Jong-un.
- North Korea announced a 13-day period of national mourning, from 17 to 29 December.
- South Korea says its armed forces are on alert and the country is on a crisis footing. Japan has convened a special security meeting.
- All times in GMT