Libya sets Benghazi no-fly zone after clashes

Destroyed warehouses following clashes on Friday between Libyan irregular forces and Islamist militias in Benghazi (17 May 2014) Dozens of people were killed in Benghazi on Friday in some of the the worst fighting in the city for months

A no-fly zone has been imposed over Libya's second city of Benghazi, the army has announced.

The move follows clashes between a paramilitary force and Islamist militants which resulted in 43 deaths and more than 100 injuries.

There have also been regular clashes in Benghazi between the army and militants blamed for killing security personnel.

Libya's leaders have struggled to bring stability to the country since Muammar Gaddafi was removed from power in 2011.

A planned new constitution remains unwritten and the country has had three prime ministers since March.

The eastern city of Benghazi was at the heart of the anti-Gaddafi uprising.

The BBC's Rana Jawad in the capital, Tripoli, says that the no-fly zone declared by the army chief is an attempt to prevent the new paramilitary force from using air power against Islamist militias in Benghazi.

A gunman stands guard at the militia camp attacked by Khalifa Haftar's forces in Benghazi - 16 May 2014 Benghazi is the scene of fighting between Islamist groups, the army and paramilitary forces
Libyan rebels on the outskirts of Ajdabiya - 22 March 2014 Rebels groups have clashed frequently since they ousted Muammar Gaddafi in the 2011 civil war

Our correspondent say that it is unclear how the army will deliver on its statement to shoot down any military aircraft flying over the city.

The Libyan army declared the no-fly zone after forces of retired colonel and former rebel commander Khalifa Haftar used at least one helicopter during fighting on Friday.

Col Haftar also launched a ground assault on Benghazi's Islamist militia brigades.

He said that although his troops had temporarily withdrawn from the city for tactical reasons, the operation will continue until "Benghazi is purged of terrorists".

"We'll come back with force," Col Haftar told reporters in Abyar, a small town to the east of Benghazi.

"We've started this battle and will continue it until we have reached our goals.

"The street and the Libyan people are with us."

On Saturday Col Hafter's spokesman called on residents living in three western districts of Benghazi - where most of the Islamist militias are based - to leave their homes.

Meanwhile in Tripoli, parliamentary speaker and military commander-in-chief Nuri Abu Sahmain said Col Hafter was trying to stage a coup.

Our correspondent says that Libya has a complex web of militants and some members of the army and air force are part of the paramilitary force.

More on This Story

More Africa stories

RSS

Features

  • Member of staff at The National Archives in KewFree information?

    The reaction when 13 departments were sent the same FOI request


  • Andy Murray in action in the Australian Open semi finalTeam tennis

    Why it pays for players like Murray to have an entourage


  • Dippy on display in the Hintze Hall. Photo by Nathalie DiazFarewell to Dippy

    Your stories of the most famous dinosaur in Kensington


  • Motorists make their way over Hannahstown Hill on January 29, 2015 in Belfast, In pictures

    Wintry images of UK's most widespread snow so far this year


  • Composite picture of David Cameron and Nick Clegg on separate official visitsMarginal choices?

    New funds for your town - but is visiting minister after your vote?


Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.