Guinea-Bissau profile - Media
- 16 June 2015
- From the section Africa
The media experience "harsh treatment" from the authorities, security forces, and individuals with connections to the military and drug traffickers, US-based Freedom House reports.
A climate of fear has led to self-censorship, which particularly affects reporting on drug trafficking.
Broadcasters face many challenges, not least the lack of a reliable power supply. Private radio stations operate alongside the state-run broadcaster.
A government-owned paper publishes alongside privately-owned outlets. The press is plagued by financial instability.
There were 57,000 internet users as of June 2015 (InternetLiveStats.com).
- No Pintcha - state-run weekly
- Bissau Digital - private, online news
- Gazeta de Noticias - private, weekly
- Ultima Hora - private
- Radio Televisao de Guinea-Bissau (RTGB) - state-run
- RTP-Africa - operated by Portuguese public broadcaster RTP
- Radio Nacional - state-run
- Radio Pindjiguiti - private
- Bombolom FM - private