Fourteen die after eating toxic sardines in Madagascar
- 6 April 2011
- From the section Africa
At least 14 people have died in Madagascar after eating toxic sardines.
Officials say more than 120 people remain seriously ill after the incident in the south-western town of Toliara.
The government sent its condolences to the victims' families, promising to foot the medical bills of those being treated in hospital.
Samples of the sardines have been sent for analysis. In previous incidents, researchers said the contaminated sardines had eaten poisonous seaweed.
They say seaweed has proliferated among Madagascar's coral reefs as global warming changes the sea conditions.