Libya crisis in maps: Day by day
Thursday 31 March
Rebels continue to pull back from recently captured towns of Ras Lanuf and Bin Jawad along the eastern coast. A column of retreating rebel fighters came under heavy fire between Brega and Ajdabiya.
The rebel-held town of Misrata is still reportedly coming under attack from pro-Gaddafi troops.
Nato took sole command of international air operations over Libya. It said it had the means to enforce the UN resolution.
The alliance also said it was investigating reports of civilian casualties in Western air strikes on Tripoli.
A senior Vatican official in Tripoli, said witnesses had reported 40 civilians had been killed in strikes by Western forces on the city.Latest map
Features & Analysis
- Mozambique plane crash 'intentional'
- Cuba calls for better US relations
- Youth-drug can 'reverse' ageing
- The rise of Sriracha chilli sauce
- North Korea's most surprising border
- Two guilty of Lee Rigby murder
- Rio women shun topless ban protest
- Why don't black Americans swim?
- Cool box saves Australian fishermen
- Spotlight on elderly malnutrition
Elsewhere on the BBC
They seem pointless, so why are they there? Earth Unplugged lifts the lid on perhaps the ultimate male mystery.
Are you after a 3D printer for Christmas? Marc Cieslak compares three different machines