Libya crisis in maps: Day by day
Thursday 31 March
Rebels continue to pull back from recently captured towns of Ras Lanuf and Bin Jawad along the eastern coast. A column of retreating rebel fighters came under heavy fire between Brega and Ajdabiya.
The rebel-held town of Misrata is still reportedly coming under attack from pro-Gaddafi troops.
Nato took sole command of international air operations over Libya. It said it had the means to enforce the UN resolution.
The alliance also said it was investigating reports of civilian casualties in Western air strikes on Tripoli.
A senior Vatican official in Tripoli, said witnesses had reported 40 civilians had been killed in strikes by Western forces on the city.Latest map
Features & Analysis
- Murder sparks anti-Muslim backlash
- Mayor 'sorry' for US brothel remarks
- French soldier stabbed near Paris
- Hezbollah promises Syria 'victory'
- Brazil 'cancels' most African debt
- 'Maoist rebels' kill 16 in India
- Cow slurry fetish man admits threats
- Extra police heading for Stockholm
- 'Black widow' bombing in Russia
- Apple 1 from 1976 sells for $650,000
Elsewhere on the BBC
The BBC's Michelle Fleury meets five very different people who live and work in Quito
How far has Microsoft moved from a purist's game console with the XBox One?