Guinea declares state of emergency after poll clashes

A woman mourns a relative killed in a suburb of Conakry At least seven people are reported to have been killed since the results were announced on Monday

Related Stories

The Guinean authorities have declared a state of emergency as violence continues in the aftermath of a disputed presidential election.

Reports say three people were found dead in the capital Conakry after the latest clashes between the security forces and opposition supporters.

The winning candidate, Alpha Conde, says he wants to lead a process of national reconciliation.

His rival, Cellou Dalein Diallo, has alleged electoral fraud.

A spokesman for Interim President General Sekouba Konate said the emergency would remain in force until the election results were confirmed by the Supreme Court.

The court was given eight days to do so after the results were announced on Monday.

The spokesman, Major Mohamed Kasse, told AFP news agency the decree meant that "any protest, any gathering" was forbidden.

'Hooligans'

The elections mark an end to 52 years of authoritarian rule, but since the first round in June, won by Mr Diallo - a former prime minister - the process has been marred by violence and delays.

Alpha Conde

  • Age: 72
  • Long-time opposition leader
  • Jailed several times
  • 18% of first-round votes; 52.5% in run-off
  • Ethnic Malinke

Cellou Dalein Diallo

  • Age: 58
  • Minister 1996-2004
  • Prime minister 2004-06
  • 44% of first-round votes; 47.5% in run-off
  • Ethnic Peul

Mr Conde won 52.52% of the vote in the second round, against 47.48% for Mr Diallo, according to interim results released by the electoral commission.

But Mr Diallo said he believed there had been fraud in some electoral districts, and mounted a legal challenge.

At least seven people are reported to have been killed in violence since then.

Supporters from rival political parties and ethnic groups have been involved in the clashes, while security forces have fired sporadically.

On Tuesday interim Prime Minister Jean Marie Dore blamed Mr Diallo's supporters for the violence, describing them as hooligans.

But Mr Diallo accused the security forces of "savage brutality" against his supporters and members of his Peul ethnic group.

Before the run-off both Mr Diallo and Mr Conde - who comes from another ethnic group, the Malinke - had promised to include each other in government.

Despite the Peuls' economic dominance, no member of their community has never been president, while the Malinke have been heavily represented among the country's military rulers.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Africa stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.