Labour commits to fund a "jobs guarantee" for the long-term unemployed for the whole of the next parliament, if it wins power.
Lung disease experts are calling for a new national system to identify lungs for transplant which could double the number of procedures across the UK.
More from the UK
William Dalrymple examines how the Afghan president Hamid Karzai's tenure fits into the country's troubled history.
- Repairing the roads hit by severe weather01:20
- Crew rescued from sinking ship01:34
- Surfers in world championships hope01:29
- Manchester holds anti-fracking rally01:01
- Pain relief plea for terminally ill patients01:37
- Don't go backwards on EU, says Clegg01:20
- Parents stay silent on football sidelines02:30
- 'Marry me!' Harry heckled at Wembley01:10
Features & Analysis
Should Hebden Bridge be the UK's second city?
Parts of Britain enjoy the warmest day of the year so far
School Reporters scoop royal coup with Edward School Report
Why heart disease is not just a man's problem
Mairi Hedderwick grew up dreaming of an island idyll
Alzheimer's test and Malaysian plane search on the front pages