Swansea's Singleton Hospital open for 'most' mothers-to-be
- 14 February 2014
- From the section South West Wales
Swansea's Singleton Hospital says it is accepting "most" expectant women in labour again after pressures on its neonatal services eased.
On Thursday, the hospital urged mothers-to-be to ring before arriving as its neonatal cots were full.
It had said only women in advanced stages of labour who could not travel were being admitted.
But on Friday the hospital said the unit was now accepting most mothers-to-be in labour.
Consultants and senior midwives were said to be assessing each case of premature labour to see if they may still need to go elsewhere.
Although the unit remained extremely busy, caesarean sections and inducements were also now going ahead.
Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board said: "The neonatal unit, which cares for poorly babies, is still extremely busy but the situation has eased enough for most mums-to-be to have their babies in the hospital.
"Earlier this week the neonatal unit was completely full, meaning that only women who were too advanced in their labour to travel were being accepted and all others were being asked to call ahead in advance.
"The situation is constantly evolving but the service is expected to remain under some pressure for a few days at least."
Women due to give birth at Singleton who go into premature labour - less than 36 weeks into their pregnancy - are asked to call the ward on 01792 205666.