Llanelli nursery evacuated after 'burn smell' from light fitting

A nursery school evacuated after a "strong smell of burning" was detected remains closed as a faulty light switch is repaired.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue said all staff and pupils were led safely from Copperworks Infant Nursery School in Llanelli on Friday morning.

Carmarthenshire council said two members of staff were checked for smoke inhalation, but were fine.

A spokesperson added the school should reopen on Monday.

Dyfed-Powys Police said the alert from the school in Nevill Street came at 09:06 GMT and an ambulance attended.

The junction with High Street was closed at the time and was reopened at around 09:30 GMT.

Carmarthenshire council's executive board member for education Keith Davies praised the head teacher, Kim Sherlock, "for her prompt and decisive action".

"The fire service also praised her for the way the evacuation procedure was carried out," he said.

"We can only apologise to parents for the inconvenience and reassure them that the work should be complete soon, and that it should be business as usual from Monday."

The school's website says there are on average 120 to 140 pupils on the roll between the ages of three and seven.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC South West Wales



Min. Night 2 °C


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.