New site sought for Nato Newport peace camp
- 13 August 2014
- From the section South East Wales
A new site is being sought for an anti-Nato "peace camp" in Newport during the summit of world leaders in September after an outcry from local residents.
People in the Pill area of the city were angry at protesters' plans to use playing fields near a community centre.
The No Nato Newport campaign group will now discuss possible alternative sites with Newport council.
The authority had said it recognised the group's right to protest and was taking steps to mitigate disruption.
More than 100 people attended a public meeting on Tuesday to voice objections to the proposed use of the green space.
The No Nato Newport group had wanted to gather on council-owned land next to Pill Millennium Centre from 27 August.
The peace camp had been expected to run until the weekend after the conference at the Celtic Manor Resort from 3-5 September.
Newport council had agreed to organise toilets, water, waste and cleaning supplies, but it was not clear who would have paid for them.
Council representatives had met protesters and residents to discuss what might have been provided at the camp, although the authority said it had not given the group permission to use the fields.
Tracey Holyoake, chair of the Pill Millennium Centre's trust told Tuesday's meeting that the original booking to use the site's facilities made no mention of camping in the field and she would not allow the booking to go ahead.
Gwent Police have said they will be ready to deal with any impromptu protests that take place during the summit but were not expecting any trouble.