Newport police cordon lifted after device all clear
Businesses, homes and a school were evacuated on Monday after a device, initially thought to be a bomb, was found during building work in Newport.
Gwent Police later said it had been established that the object found at Maesglas Retail Park did not pose any threat to the public.
A police cordon is being taken down and roads will be reopened.
Earlier, there was heavy traffic and people were advised to avoid the area until further notice.
The 190-pupil St Michaels RC Primary school was evacuated and pupils taken to Pill Millennium centre to be collected by their parents.
Nine properties on Meldalgief Road were evacuated and some people went to Newport Leisure Centre.
But Gwent Police later said the Explosives Ordnance Division had confirmed the device was not in fact a bomb.
Ch Insp Rod Grindlay said: "We would like to thank the community for their patience and support whilst enquiries were carried out.
"Our priority at all times was ensuring everyone's safety whilst trying to minimise any disruption."