Caerphilly fire: Shop badly damaged in Cardiff Road blaze

Shop fire Neighbouring shops were evacuated

A town centre shop has been badly damaged in a fire which led to neighbouring premises being evacuated.

The blaze at a clothes shop on Cardiff Road, Caerphilly, led to nearby residents being advised to keep their windows closed.

Seven fire crews from as far afield as the Vale of Glamorgan were at the scene at one stage, after the alarm was raised at 10:05 GMT.

The fire is now out but firefighters are damping down at the scene.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the owner of the shop had put on an electric fire which accidentally caused an item of clothing to catch fire.

It spread quickly throughout the store, the spokesman added.

A police cordon was in place on Cardiff Road as crews tackled the blaze, which was contained on the ground floor.

Dan Curtis, who lives nearby, said he saw the fire when he went shopping, with smoke engulfing the town at the time.

He added: "It's the damage that it has caused - that shop is completely wrecked."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC South East Wales

Weather

Cardiff

Min. Night 18 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.