Georgia Marshall electrocuted helping get family Christmas decorations

Georgia Marshall Georgia was one of seven children

Related Stories

A teenage girl was electrocuted as she helped her father bring Christmas decorations down from the attic, an inquest in Cardiff has heard.

Georgia Marshall, 13, was holding a metal step ladder into the loft when an exposed cable powering a light gave her a 240 volt electric shock.

She fell among boxes of baubles and tinsel on the landing of the home in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, in November.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

Start Quote

I heard a thud and saw her lying on the floor on top of the cable. I thought it was a joke, she was always playing pranks on us”

End Quote

The inquest heard her father Richard thought she was just playing a prank and continued carrying the Christmas tree down from the loft.

It was 10 minutes later, after two other members of her family had received minor shocks, that they realised what had happened and called for an ambulance.

Paramedics were unable to save tragic Georgia who died when an electric current passed through her heart.

Dad-of-seven Richard, 54, told the inquest: "All the children were really excited about getting the Christmas decorations down.

"Georgia came onto the landing wearing her pyjamas, I think she grabbed both sides of the ladder.

"I heard a thud and saw her lying on the floor on top of the cable. I thought it was a joke, she was always playing pranks on us.

"When I realised what had happened I was stunned, I was panicked and upset."

Insulation 'worn'

Another child was up in the attic passing decorations down to Georgia's father when the accident happened.

An inquest heard how the aluminium ladder had an extension cable wrapped around it which carried power up to a light bulb in the attic.

But the cable's rubber insulation became worn exposing a live wire, sending a current of electricity in to the metal ladder.

Paul Farley, an engineer with Western Power Distribution, told the inquest: "As the ladder had been put up and down over time the cable had worn through.

"The live wire was exposed, if this wire came into contact the ladder then it would have become live.

"If the electric current crossed Georgia's chest cavity it would have affected the heart."

Assistant Coroner Christopher Woolley told the Cardiff inquest that Georgia had died "almost instantly".

More on This Story

Related Stories

Weather

Cardiff

16 °C 11 °C

Features

  • Baby being handed overFraught world

    The legal confusion over UK surrogate births


  • Bad resultsBlame game

    The best excuses to use when exam results don't make the grade


  • Police respond to a shooting in Santa MonicaTrigger decision

    What really happens before a police officer fires his gun?


  • Child injured by what activists say were two air strikes in the north-eastern Damascus suburb of Douma (3 August 2014)'No-one cares'

    Hope fades for Syrians one year after chemical attack


  • Lady AlbaGoing Gaga Watch

    Social media's use ahead of the independence referendum


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.