Llandow fire at Siteserv 'no significant public health risk'
Residents living near a fire at a recycling plant in the Vale of Glamorgan have been told there is "no significant public health risk".
But people are warned there may be temporary symptoms of runny nose, eye irritation and coughing from smoke.
The blaze at Siteserv on the Llandow Industrial Estate is under control but the fire service said crews were likely to remain there for up to seven days.
Earlier fears that asbestos could be burning at the site proved unfounded.
Investigators found the fire involved around 1,000 tonnes of mixed household waste.
The roof of the building, which does contain asbestos, was not affected. Siteserv said it was working with investigators to identify the cause of the blaze.
The results of air quality monitoring were discussed at a multi-agency meeting, involving representatives of South Wales Fire & Rescue Service, South Wales Police, Public Health Wales, Natural Resources Wales and the Vale of Glamorgan council on Thursday.
In a statement the council said: "Although the risk to the health of the public is low, there is a possibility of the resulting smoke plume causing an acrid smell in the surrounding area.
"Prolonged exposure to smoke may result in temporary symptoms such as a runny nose, eye irritation and coughing.
"It is recommended that those who live or work in areas that may be affected by the smoke plume take action to minimise exposure to smoke by staying indoors where possible and keeping doors and windows closed."
South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said 45 firefighters were at the scene during the height of the blaze, which broke out at 19:20 GMT on Tuesday.
A multi-agency meeting on Wednesday confirmed the asbestos in the roof had not been released by the fire.
However, members of the public were still advised to keep windows closed as the smoke plume generated by the blaze was likely to contain fine dust particles.
Siteserv, which employs around 200 people, was set up more than 16 years ago by brothers Nigel and Philip England.
Earlier this year they were cleared at Cardiff Crown Court of illegally dumping waste in a 100m-wide (328 ft) hole at Nigel England's Pwll-y-Darren Farm near Cowbridge.
Nigel, 50, and Phillip, 61, were found not guilty of 11 charges at the end of their trial in August.
Why guns are a part of American childhood
Did Sherlock's creator predict the Channel Tunnel?
How Scottish national identity shook off its 'kilted straitjacket'
Pulp's keyboardist had arthritis at 16 but can't say no to playing
Looking for the remaining Armenians of Myanmar
- Google Glass - a fascinating failure?
- 'Ban E-cig use indoors,' says WHO
- Tank sighting shoots hole in Russian denial
- Teenagers and the news game
- Do you want to know a secret?
- 'Deeply elitist UK locks out talent'
- Wright quits Labour but not PCC role
- Woman finds 3ft wasp nest on bed
- Consoles: One box to rule them all?
- British Jews and Muslims issue joint call for peace