South East Wales

Holly Stuckey died after eating curry and chips, inquest hears

Holly Stuckey
Image caption Holly Stuckey was otherwise "fit and well," the inquest heard

A 12-year-old girl died in her father's arms from a suspected allergic reaction after eating curry and chips, an inquest in Aberdare has heard.

Holly Stuckey, from Maesteg, Bridgend, suffered sudden anaphylactic shock, possibly triggered by the chips.

The inquest heard "fit and well" Holly told her father: "I don't want to die," as she fought for her breath.

Bridgend coroner Louise Hunt recorded a narrative verdict that Holly died of anaphylactic reaction of unknown cause.

One of Britain's top experts in allergies, Dr Richard Pumphrey, told the inquest: "She had eaten chips and there have been occasions when chips have contained something other than potato.

"It is a possibility - it has been reported in the past but we are struggling to find a cause."

The inquest heard that only-child Holly had asthma but had not suffered any food allergies previously.

Dr Pumphrey suspected it was a reaction to her food because of her symptoms and the timing of the fatal attack.

The inquest heard that on the day of the tragedy Holly had been shopping with her father Clive, 44, before they returned home.

Mr Stuckey said: "I did her curry and chips but she didn't eat much. She was a picky child.

"After the meal she was complaining she had trouble breathing.

"She had two puffs on her blue inhaler and one on her purple one.

"She was saying: 'I don't want to die'."

The inquest heard Mr Stuckey took his daughter to the bathroom where she slumped unconscious.

He said: "I put her on her side and started giving her CPR while my wife rang for the emergency services."

He added: "I did my best. I wish I could have done more."

Holly was taken to hospital in October 2010, but doctors could not revive her.

Around the BBC