Five rescued after digital box fire in Holyhead

A woman and four children were taken to hospital after their digital TV box caught fire.

The incident in Holyhead, Anglesey, happened just before 22:00 BST on Sunday.

The woman and children, who were suffering with smoke inhalation, have been discharged.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the incident highlighted the importance of working smoke detectors.

Geraint Hughes from the service said: "This incident really does demonstrate the life saving properties of smoke alarms - had the alarms not alerted the occupants to the fire, we could have had the unthinkable and devastating prospect of a multiple fatality fire."

Mr Hughes added that to prevent a fire TV equipment should not be stacked, should not be put in enclosed cupboards and should be kept away from combustible materials.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC North West Wales

Weather

Anglesey

Min. Night 14 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.