Vomiting bug closes Ysgol Nant y Coed primary school
- 22 November 2013
- From the section North West Wales
A primary school in north Wales has been closed after a suspected outbreak of the norovirus vomiting and diarrhoea bug.
Over 100 pupils and staff are affected at the 151-pupil Ysgol Nant y Coed in Llandudno Junction.
Conwy council said it had closed the school on Friday for what it called a "precautionary deep clean".
Public Health Wales said no tests had been carried out, but said it was probably a strain of norovirus.
A letter has been sent to parents and posted on the school website giving advice to parents about the bug.
Jo Black, a spokeswoman for Public Health Wales, said "Due to the fact that people are suffering vomiting and some diarrhoea, getting samples is very difficult.
"No laboratory tests have been carried out. But due to the nature of the illness it is more than likely to be norovirus."
On Friday the school, which has 151 pupils on the register, was closed for what Conwy council called a "precautionary deep clean" and is expected to reopen on Monday.
There are no reports that the illness has spread to any other schools in the area.
Public Health Wales is also stressing the importance of washing hands and cleaning door handles to try and prevent it spreading further.