Pair 'lucky to survive' Betws yn Rhos flat fire

Fire chiefs say two people were lucky to survive a fire at a Conwy county flat which did not have any working smoke alarms.

The blaze, which started at the property in Betws yn Rhos near Abergele at 01:42 BST, is being investigated.

The occupants escaped unhurt but their home was severely damaged.

Gary Brandrick, of North Wales fire service, said: "I can't overemphasise how lucky the two residents were to escape with their lives."

The senior fire safety manager added: "Fire can spread incredibly quickly and without the early detection provided by smoke alarms you are at greater risk of dying in a fire in your home.

"This fire caused severe damage to the property.

"Not having smoke alarms fitted in your home is playing a very dangerous game with your life and the lives of your loved ones."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC North West Wales



9 °C 5 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.