24,000 chicks die in poultry shed fire at Marford

Twenty four thousand chicks have perished in a fire at a poultry shed near Wrexham, says the fire service.

A man also suffered burns to his face and arms in the blaze at Marford and was taken to hospital.

The alarm was raised at about 19:30 BST on Wednesday and three fire crews from Wrexham, one from Johnstown and an aerial ladder went to the scene.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze destroyed the shed.

A fire service spokeswoman said initial findings indicated the fire was started by a fuel leakage from an industrial heater.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC North East Wales



Min. Night 0 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.