Nova Centre, Prestatyn, plan expected to move forward
Plans for a £3.6m development of a closed Denbighshire leisure centre are expected to move forward next week.
The Nova Centre in Prestatyn shut earlier this year after Denbighshire council decided to cut funding to the trust which ran the facility.
It was agreed in March the centre would remain closed while proposals were considered.
Next week, the cabinet will be asked to approve a £109,000 investment to take forward the Nova Centre plans.
A feasibility study has been carried out looking at:
- Keeping the swimming pool and small splash pool
- Creating a changing area to serve the pool
- Having fitness facilities to the same quality of those at Ruthin Leisure Centre
- Creating a multi-use space for community events, exercise classes and sports clubs
- Setting up a soft play facility with reception and cafe
- Creating two or three promenade retail units
The £109,000 would be spent on putting together more detailed designs, which it is hoped would be put submitted in September.
Clwyd Leisure was set up by Denbighshire council in 2001 to run facilities on its behalf including the Sun Centre in Rhyl and North Wales Indoor Bowls Centre in Prestatyn, which have also closed.
The council's cabinet decided to withdraw financial support of £200,000 for 2014/15 due to concerns over the way the organisation was run.
Councillors have voted to explore the possibility of re-opening Rhyl Sun Centre for dry activities.