Rhyl house blast couple's 'lucky escape'

Related Stories

An elderly couple had an "extremely lucky escape" after a cigarette caused an explosion of pressurised oxygen cylinders in their Denbighshire home.

They escaped unhurt from the bedroom fire in Rhyl on Monday after 05:30 GMT.

But the oxygen line connected to the cylinder was then ignited, causing the explosion and damaging the property.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the incident highlighted the dangers of smoking close to pressurised cylinders.

Fire service safety manager Gary Brandrick said: "This couple was extremely lucky to escape unharmed.

"It is highly likely that had there been anyone in the property when this cylinder exploded that they would have suffered fatal blast and burn injuries.

"This is not the first incident of this type in the region. We have had previous incidents that have resulted in serious injury and tragically the loss of life.

"Cylinders should never be kept near naked flames, heaters or combustible materials."

More on This Story

Related Stories

From other news sites

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC North East Wales

Weather

Wrexham

14 °C 9 °C

Features

  • The OfficeIn pictures

    Fifty landmark shows from 50 years of BBC Two


  • French luxury Tea House, Mariage Freres display of tea pots Tea for tu

    France falls back in love with tea - but don't expect a British cuppa


  • Peter MatthiessenPeter and Paddy

    Remembering two of the greatest travel writers


  • Worcestershire flagFlying the flag

    Preserving the identities of England's counties


  • Female model's bottom in leopard skin trousers as she walks up the catwalkBum deal

    Why budget buttock ops can be bad for your health


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.