North East Wales

Homes evacuated in Denbigh devices search

Search of Denbigh
Image caption Police and explosive experts have been searching a property in the Lenten Pool area of Denbigh

Police are continuing to search a property in Denbigh after an operation which led to nearby homes being evacuated.

It followed the earlier arrest of a 46-year-old man after a spate of firework-like attacks in the town.

Explosive experts were called in to assist North Wales Police with a search of an address in the town.

The evacuation of homes in Lenten Pool on Friday night was a safety precaution and 40 residents were allowed home.

The operation followed a series of attacks involving what are thought to be homemade firework-type devices.

There have been more than a dozen separate incidents in the town since March, damaging cars and smashing some windows.

Police were continuing to search a property on Saturday.

Detective Chief Inspector Andrew Williams, who is heading the investigation, said: "The safety of the public is of paramount importance to us and as such we used all resources available to minimise any potential risk posed to residents.

"We apologise for any disruption caused and I'm grateful to the local people for their understanding and cooperation in this matter."

The Explosives Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team from Chester have left the scene and the search of the property is continuing by specialist police officers.

Local councillor Colin Hughes said local people were allowed back in their homes after midnight but by then some had already been taken to a local hotel.

The town hall was used as an evacuation centre by police, council officials and a local housing association.

"The services responded very swiftly and it was a very efficient operation," said Mr Hughes.

Det Chief Insp Williams added: "I again appeal to anyone who has information in relation to the incidents, however small or insignificant they may feel it may be, to contact members of their local policing team or phone 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

The 46-year-old man is currently in custody at St Asaph.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites