Seven arrests over Caia Park car arson attacks
- 19 November 2012
- From the section North East Wales
Police say they have made seven arrests as part of their investigation into a spate of car arson attacks in Wrexham.
It comes as firefighters tackled another fire on a vehicle in Ponciau early on Monday morning.
Six of the youths arrested in connection with incidents at Caia Park have been released on bail. No action is being taken against the seventh.
The arrests are not linked to last week's incident in Hightown when a car owner was later taken ill and died.
North Wales Police say four of the youths were arrested on Friday and another three over the weekend.
Figures released by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service show 23 car fires have been started deliberately at Caia Park in Wrexham between 1 January and 4 November.
There have been over 300 deliberate fires in Wrexham county borough between 1 January and 31 October, says the fire service.
The latest incident happened just before 04:30 GMT on Monday when a car had been set alight at Troedle, Ponciau.
Last week, Dorothy Dudley-Smith's car was set on fire outside her home in Hightown before she fell ill and was taken to hospital.
A post mortem examination provisionally found the 78-year-old died from a stroke, the north east Wales coroner's office said at an inquest into her death which was opened and adjourned.
A youth has been released on police bail pending further inquiries.
Anyone with information is asked to call North Wales Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.