Candles warning as fire wrecks home at Bwlch y Sarnau

Blaze at Bwlch Y Sarnau Fire crews were called to the scene after a neighbour spotted smoke

Firefighters are warning about the dangers of candles following a blaze which wrecked a woman's home in Powys.

She suffered minor injuries trying to save her pets in the blaze at Bwlch y Sarnau, near Llanidloes.

The building was gutted in the fire which is believed to have been started by an unsupervised candle, according to Mid and West Wales Fire Service.

Crews from Rhayader and Llanidloes were alerted after a neighbour spotted smoke during the incident on Thursday.

"Take care when using candles especially as we are now in the lead up to Christmas when candles become more common in the home," said Steve Rowlands, fire service community safety manager.

"The fire was sighted by a neighbour and thankfully, nobody was seriously injured at this incident.

"However, the owner is extremely saddened at the loss of her family pets."

Blaze at Bwlch Y Sarnau A woman in the house suffered minor injuries trying to rescue her pets

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Mid Wales

Weather

Aberystwyth

15 °C 12 °C

Features

  • Baby being handed overFraught world

    The legal confusion over UK surrogate births


  • Bad resultsBlame game

    The best excuses to use when exam results don't make the grade


  • Police respond to a shooting in Santa MonicaTrigger decision

    What really happens before a police officer fires his gun?


  • Child injured by what activists say were two air strikes in the north-eastern Damascus suburb of Douma (3 August 2014)'No-one cares'

    Hope fades for Syrians one year after chemical attack


  • Lady AlbaGoing Gaga Watch

    Social media's use ahead of the independence referendum


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.