Pembrokeshire council leader regrets Mik Smith shortfalls

Mik Smith stayed in his job in the council despite an internal inquiry in 2005

Related Stories

Pembrokeshire's council leader says he has "deep regret for any shortfalls" in the case of a sacked youth worker who later went on to abuse a boy.

Jamie Adams was speaking at a full council meeting about Mik Smith, who was jailed earlier in July.

Smith stayed in his job in the council despite an internal inquiry in 2005.

A Labour motion calling for a full investigation was dropped, after the Welsh Children's Commissioner said he would pursue the matter.

Six out of the 11 complaints made against Smith in 2005 were upheld and he was given a verbal warning, but chief executive Bryn Parry Jones said there was no evidence of criminality.

The 49-year-old from Haverfordwest was eventually sacked by the council in 2012 after a report by the social services inspectorate called for his case to be reviewed.

Failings 'addressed'

But he went on to abuse an eight-year-old boy and filmed his actions in 2013.

The victim's mother said if the council had investigated complaints properly in 2005 her son may not have been abused.

Last week, Smith was jailed for six years at Swansea Crown Court.

The boy's mother has called for an inquiry into how the council handled the complaints.

"He is in a position of huge responsibility for the people of Pembrokeshire who need to live in a safe way," the boy's mother told BBC Wales' Week In Week Out programme earlier this week.

Significant failings in the council's disciplinary processes were highlighted by the national inspectorates in 2011.

No formal investigation

This led to the authority changing its procedures and management of the education department and the council's chief executive said past failings would not be repeated.

Wales' children's commissioner Keith Towler is looking at the council's handling of complaints about Smith and collating information, but there is not yet a formal investigation, according to his office.

Thursday's meeting of the council was told that Mr Towler has already spoken to the director of education Jake Morgan.

The commissioner's office said he could follow one of two routes - carry out his own investigation or hand it over to police if there is any indication of criminal activity.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Wales stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.