Biting by pet cat Taffy 'saved me from fire'

Tracie Horgan-Hodgkiss and Taffy Tracie Horgan-Hodgkiss says tortoiseshell cat Taffy saved her life

A woman rescued from a fire at her home says she owes her life to her pet cat.

Tracie Horgan-Hodgkiss, 39, was woken in the early hours by two-year-old tortoiseshell Taffy biting her hand.

She found the bedroom of her home in Brackla, Bridgend, was filling with thick black smoke and dialled 999.

Ms Horgan-Hodgkiss said: "I thought the smoke alarm was my alarm clock and ignored it. Taffy carried on biting my hand until I woke up - I don't think I'd be here now but for her."

She was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and firefighters say she owes her life to her pet.

Roger Mangan, watch manager at Bridgend fire station, said: "Tracie was very lucky - we got there just at the right time."

A 39-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Wales stories

RSS

Features

  • Firth of Forth bridgeWhat came Firth?

    How the Forth was crossed before the famous bridge


  • Petrol pumpPumping up

    Why are petrol prices rising again?


  • Image of George from Tube CrushTube crush

    How London's male commuters set Chinese hearts racing


  • Elderly manSuicide decline

    The number of old people killing themselves has fallen. Why?


  • TricycleTreasure trove

    The lost property shop stuffed with diamonds, bikes... and a leg


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.