Wales

Children's hospital flood: 'No impact' on patient services

Noah's Ark Children's Hospital
Image caption The extent of the damage is being assessed at the hospital, which opened in 2005

Flooding which caused Wales' only children's hospital to close on Monday will have no knock-on effect to patient care, health officials say.

Eighteen patients at Cardiff's £10m Noah's Ark Children's Hospital for Wales were moved to wards at the University Hospital of Wales next door.

Some patients are due to start moving back to the hospital by Thursday.

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board said both children and adult services had been unaffected.

All four floors of the children's hospital were hit by water in what clinical board director for children and women's services, Dr George Findlay, described as a "major incident".

The extent of the damage is being assessed but water has been found in electrical trunking and light fittings on the higher floors.

The health board said patients were swiftly moved, nobody was injured and paediatric emergency and elective in-patient services were unaffected.

All children were moved to accommodation within paediatric areas of the University Hospital of Wales.

A spokesman said there had been "no impact" on either hospital, and patients were advised to "come in as normal" unless told otherwise.

One parent told BBC Wales the staff had been "truly amazing".

"I can't credit the staff enough," said Lisa James, from Newport. "They have coped so well and brilliant organisation by the Noah' Ark team.

"In what has been a very stressful two days for all the staff they have continued to carry out their excellent standard of care and ensured that the children have remained as unaffected as possible."

Later on Tuesday, the health board said it expected some children to be moved back into parts of the children's hospital by later in the week.

Phil Barry, directorate manager for child health, paid tribute to the "fantastic" workforce, adding: "Our priority has been to provide an environment and safe care to all those affected by the incident."

The £10m first phase of the children's hospital, where the flooding occurred, opened at the University Hospital of Wales in 2005 and included two 25-bed medical wards and one 16-bed paediatric cancer ward.

Building work is currently being carried out on the second £63.8m phase which will have new wards, critical care facilities and four operating theatres.

Have you been affected by the hospital's closure in any way? Please let us know your experience.

Your contact details

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites