Horsemeat: Newport is ninth council to withdraw Welsh Bros products
Newport council has become the ninth local authority in Wales to withdraw certain meat products supplied by a firm caught in the horsemeat scandal.
The council is no longer putting mince beef products supplied by Welsh Bros Ltd on the menu at its care homes.
It said this was a precaution after traces of horsemeat were found in similar products for another council. Newport schools do not use the firm.
Newport-based Welsh Bros has said had been let down by a non-Welsh firm.
Newport follows Merthyr council which withdrew certain Welsh Bros meat products on Thursday.
On Wednesday, Swansea council said its own test found horsemeat, while Bridgend, Neath Port Talbot, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, the Vale of Glamorgan and Pembrokeshire said they took action as a precaution.
Welsh Bros Ltd, which supplies a number of councils, said a sample of meat had "potentially" tested positive.
The meat involved was distributed in December 2012.
The company said it believed it was an isolated incident and has been cooperating with trading standards investigations.
A Newport council statement read: "Newport City Council can confirm that it has withdrawn mince beef products supplied by Welsh Bros to its care homes as a precaution.
"The Newport-based company is working with the council's trading standards officers after a sample taken in another authority area revealed traces of horsemeat in a mince beef product it had supplied.
"Welsh Bros has co-operated fully in the withdrawal of its mince beef products and has contacted all its customers.