WLGA call for 'fairer' council house funding system


The way money from council house rents is collected and distributed should be changed to make the system "fairer" in Wales, the Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) says.

Currently, the rent paid by people who live in a council house gets handed to the Treasury - who then reallocate the money to local authorities.

In England the system is a bit simpler as councils keep the money they collect.

It is a process the WLGA want changed in Wales too.

They are calling for the system to be reformed, saying it should be fairer.

Liberal Democrat AM Aled Robert, a former housing spokesman for the WLGA, said it would mean Wales would be better off.

Call for 'fairer' housing scheme

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.