Prince Charles donation to Aberystwyth flood victims
- 7 July 2012
- From the section Wales
Prince Charles has made a donation to help victims of flooding in mid Wales last month, as many areas of Wales undergo another summer storm battering.
The donation is ahead of his annual Welsh summer visit next week when the prince and the Duchess of Cornwall will meet some of those affected in June.
Hundreds of homes and businesses were damaged following torrential rain and overflowing rivers around Aberystwyth.
The latest storm brought problems in several areas, with 10 flood alerts.
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said on Saturday that they attended a number of call-outs overnight to protect properties from flooding, in both Powys and Carmarthenshire. However, no water got into properties.
Friday's problems saw campers at the Wakestock music festival in Abersoch, Gwynedd, relocated after heavy rain, and the A55 shut at Abergwyngregyn near Bangor, leading to severe delays.
North Wales firefighters also pumped out floodwater at Beach Road, Llanddulas, Conwy.
Drivers on the M50 heading into south Wales were held up after the road was partly closed from the M5 junction by floodwater.
The new problems come a month after the severe floods which have led to the Prince of Wales' donation, although it has not been revealed how much he has given.
About 100 firefighters were involved in June's rescue efforts, as well as RNLI teams and other emergency services.
Officials said Prince Charles was very concerned about the devastation.
A spokesman said: "We can confirm the prince has made a donation to an appeal fund set up by the leader of Ceredigion council, which will assist those affected by June's flooding."
Aberystwyth and nearby villages such as Talybont, Dol-y-Bont and Llandre were badly affected by the flooding, with 5ft (1.5m) of water recorded in some areas.
Dyfed-Powys Police said at the time they believed around 1,000 people had been evacuated in total from Ceredigion and parts of Powys.
Some flood victims living in Talybont were told they could be away from their homes for up to nine months.
Environment Agency Wales said the flooding had been an "unprecedented event".
The prince and his wife will meet residents and members of the emergency services who were involved in the evacuation.
Search and rescue
The prince and the duchess's four-day tour begins on Monday when they celebrate St Asaph's new city status by attending a service of thanksgiving.
Later that day, Prince Charles will also meet crew members from RAF Valley on Anglesey, including his son the Duke of Cambridge, who is based there as a search and rescue pilot.
The main theme of the tour is food and produce, with an emphasis on sustainability.
Visits during the week include a trip to Llanrhystud Mill, Ceredigion, on Wednesday and a tour of Felinfoel Brewery in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, on Thursday.
A Clarence House spokesman said: "In these difficult economic times, they are determined to do all they can to highlight the very high quality of Welsh produce."